Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Today is Recipe Day!

At least that is what I just decided...

Beef and Noodles

Ingredients (Part 1):

1 3lb chuck roast
1/2 c flour
2 tbsp olive oil
3 c chianti wine
3 c beef broth
1 med onion sliced
2 14oz cans diced tomatoes

Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Place flour in a shallow dish and coat both sides of the chuck roast. Sprinkle both sides with pepper and place in skillet. Brown on each side. Place browned chuck roast in crock pot. Add wine, broth, tomatoes and onion. Cook on low for 8-10 hours.

Note: If the crockpot is not and option you can also braise the meat on the stove top. Place all ingredients in a large pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 3 hours. This should achieve the same result-at least it did for me...I have tried it both ways.


Noodles (Part 2): I use the basic noodle recipe ingredients from my BHG cookbook-but follow my mother's instructions

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 egg yolks, beaten
1 egg, beaten
1/3 cup
water
1 teaspoon cooking oil or olive oil


Mix dry ingredients together in mixing bowl and make a well in the center. In small bowl combine wet ingredients. Slowly add wet ingredients to dry mixture and combine. Turn out onto floured surface and knead until mixture becomes elastic. Roll out to desired thickness (I like about 1/8 inch) and allow to "dry" for 30-45 minutes.

Meanwhile, remove cooked roast from crock pot and shred, discarding fat. Strain broth from crockpot into large soup pan. Place shredded beef in the pan with the broth and bring to simmer over medium heat. (I usually add a little salt and pepper and a bay leaf as well, but this is optional.)

When noodles are done drying roll up and slice at 1/4 inch thickness. Toss noodles with a bit of flour so they do not stick together. Add to pan (with broth and beef) and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.

I serve these with mashed potatoes and green beans. Perfect comfort food for the coming winter.

Enjoy:)

2 Comments:

Yarni Gras! said...

oooooooo, this looks WONDERFUL. I'm going to try it next week. I alreay have this week's meals planned out. Thanks so much! BTW, does it have to be chianti or can it be any good red wine?

Thanks, Val

frankenpug said...

I am sure it could be any red wine. I buy the biggest cheapest bottle of Chianti and it tastes good:) so I am assuming any type of wine will be just as tasty.